Sunday, February 28, 2010

RESTAURANT REVIEW

This is more of an opinion than a review.  It is my opinion that Sur is one of  the most overrated and uncomfortable restaurants in Los Angeles.  The reason for this is as follows:
1/  To enter the restaurant you are stopped at the door by an officious man demanding to know your name and if you have reserved.  Seems this is the owner.  The entrance to the restaurant is foreboding in its over the top decor with a statue of some sort facing the door and dividing the restaurant rooms in two.
2/ When I gave my name I was told I was to go to the bar to wait for the rest of the guests.  I explained I was the host for the 5 guests and I would prefer to be seated at the table where I could greet them as they would arrive.  In my little world this is called "good manners".  In no uncertain terms the owner stated that the policy of the restaurant was not to seat anyone until all guests had arrived.  (Good way to get you to buy drinks.)  While explaining my position as a host, a friend who happened to be a frequent customer of the restaurant greeted me, and only then did the owner, seeing I knew "J", begrudgingly seat me at a very large table on a sort of dais  with 6 velvet covered chairs crowded into a much too small place.
3/  While waiting I was approached by a pleasant waitress named Stassi, requesting my drink order.  Being a bit early gave me the opportunity to relax, enjoy my martini and peruse the restaurant scene.  There was literally a "sea" of tables crowded into the two rooms and a terrace, all with white table clothes and candles blazing and the staff bumping into one another and oncoming diners.  My view of the front door allowed me to see who was arriving as well as the frenetic goings and comings of the owner.  I noted how confusing it was for persons entering  the restaurant.
4/  Bit by bit my guests began to arrive except for the guest of honor who was bedded with a cold.  Getting into their respective seats in the small dining area was a feat in itself.  Drink orders were taken by Stassi and  menus, covered in a zebra patterned cloth reminiscent of the old El Morocco, given to us.  Specials were rattled off with of course no one remembering a word after, except for one guest who later repeated the entire Special list.  The menu list was without any dish not already found on the most ordinary of restaurants and without of course, the most ordinary prices. The wine list was similar in lack of creativity.  Beet salad anyone?
5/ The food arrived sorta plunked down on the plate.  There was absolutely nothing outstanding or inventive, which I believe is the usual reason for going to a high priced restaurant.  Or am I an old fashioned grouch?
A good time was had by: good friends, martinis and an "OK" Argentinian 2006 Malbec wine and of course the lovely Stassi.  Will I return to Sur?  Jamais bebe, jamais!

No comments:

Post a Comment