Wednesday, July 7, 2010

DESERT LIVIING DEUX

For me, the best thing about Palm Springs has always been that one can find parking. "God is love when you find parking" in Los Angeles. Over the Independence Day weekend I have had an epiphany. Palm Springs is indeed an oasis of goodwill and happiness! Desert living has given people a more relaxed and forgiving attitude toward one another. Drivers don't come to a screeching halt at red lights. Employees in stores smile and are helpful. There is always an holiday atmosphere in restaurants without the haughty attitude of a host/hostess, but rather a smile and we are happy to see you body language. Residents are always curious to know where you are from (just about everyone is "from" somewhere else), and are you permanent or a weekender? There seems to be a sort of camaraderie among them wanting to welcome newcomers to the easy life. A friend admonished me for not wanting to live full time in the desert by saying I just don't want to be happy. Now I understand his point. Not that I would live there full time 'cause as Leontyne Price once said about the United States at the beginning of her career while singing in Europe: "There ain't no culture there". However, culture can be defined as a refined understanding or appreciation of our surroundings (Webster). They understand it and now I must admit I do, as well. Noooo....I'm not going to be a full timer - at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment