Monday, June 14, 2010

PRIDE

"The consciousness of one's own dignity." That phrase perfectly exemplifies GAY PRIDE festivals around the world. The first Gay Pride parade in Los Angeles was in 1983 on Hollywood Boulevard.
My friend R and I went to see it, sitting on a curb, wondering how the spectators would react to so many Gay men and women parading in the middle of the boulevard. The crowd was silent as the participants passed by and at the very end of the parade some of our fellow spectators got up to walk with the marchers. R and I got up with them and began our march. I saw persons I knew sitting on the curbs - their mouths dropping when they saw us walking along with the others. The feeling of personal liberation was indescribable. We were no longer hiding or ashamed of who we were. The memory of that day still brings tears to my eyes. Yesterday, in the West Hollywood Gay Pride parade a float went by with singers singing "I am what I am", the thrilling song from La Cage aux Folles. The tears were flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment